Thursday, April 9, 2009

Religious Holidays

Okay truth be told I am having trouble with Easter coming. I always have a lot of trouble with religious holidays...if I could avoid church around Christmas and Easter I would be good. I was raised a preacher's daughter and I know that the religious part of church killed me, and had God not intervened and supernaturally became part of my everyday life I would have no room for spirituality. Instead I have a hard time with structured religion. It has nothing to do with my relationship with God or Jesus Christ but I sure could rant on about the church!!! And for whatever reason those who like traditions and sayings, pat yourself on the back your a good person bunk are raring to go when it comes to religious holidays. The preachers who will stand up on Sunday morning and say "He is risen" and we are supposed to say back "He is risen in deed" drive me around the bend and back. To me doing the same thing as we did last year at Easter makes my relationship with God dull. I dislike the Lord's Prayer, Psalm 23 all for the same reason...repetitive...it looses its value, I can say it without thinking...not a good thing. I don't like lent, the ministerial lunches leading up to Easter and you will never catch me wearing a cross. Speaks of traditional religion and I have absolutely no use for it. I want the real God who is busy today doing something that will rattle my cage and others around me. I want to know what He is challenging you with today and I want to share the miracles that He did this week. Not what he is doing in a book you read, or in another country. TODAY, HERE, NOW, ACTIVE PRESENT TENSE!!!! And if you find yourself not knowing the answer to that then I would like you to question whether God is actually a part of your life or if you are just practicing religion. And even as I write this I know that I love the sweet old ladies, nice elderly gentlemen, the young children and all the rest who are trying to find God may feel offended at my writing this because these traditions are how they find God. I am not trying to offend you, I just need to write another opinion because there are a lot that think like me and they need a voice too. And I am sad and angry when religion keeps people away from a relationship with God.

3 comments:

  1. We're just reading the story and having brunch. Come hang with us! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Becky... you KNOW I SO understand.

    I cried reading this. I miss you so damn much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just fine to say what you're thinking and feeling - it's a free country! Congratulations on your blog, and a long overdue THANK YOU for your hospitality and for the tranquil space that is your home. I miss you and your family. Love, Patricia

    ReplyDelete