Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Sequel

Okay, just like usual God showed up. This is the bizarre but real relationship I have with God. I rant and rail about whatever is bothering me in my inner being and feel better and then am able to see more of God and have intimate talks with God. My previous post about religious holidays, traditions and symbolism was frankly how I felt.

I went to church on Easter Sunday because I continue to pursue God and I usually find Him there at church (I also find Him a lot of other places too). But finding Him at church is rather consistent for me. Although I won't say that I don't have to work very hard at finding Him there most Sundays. See I believe that God rides with me wherever I go...so I am not big on inviting Him to come because He and I have this understanding that He is already along...so its kind of redundant. Anyways I was busy sitting in the pew sorting out what was God from what was driving me crazy from what was truth and what was lies...normal Sunday morning activity for me. It usually takes me the rest of the day to find equilibrium again. Some of the songs we sing are lies you know?! Anyways that's another topic. I was sitting there realizing that we all come to God differently, we all have different backgrounds, personalities and life experiences....so obviously God has to use very different approaches for each human being on the planet. WOW!!! So as this came to me I suddenly relaxed and felt okay, its okay for some to like what I don't, its okay for some to see God totally different than I do, and He is so big that its just fine! I don't have to conform and shut down me in order to fit with God and church, and I don't have to try to change anyone else. And its just fine that it seems to be a mess this thing called church. I can handle that!! We are just human beings in search of a God we will never understand.

I ran into a book yesterday called "crazy love" by Francis Chan, this man says in this book " Not being able to fully understand God is frustrating, but it is ridiculous for us to think we have the right to limit God to something we are capable of understanding. What a stunted, insignificant god that would be! If my mind is the size of a soda can and God is the size of all the oceans, it would be stupid for me to say He is only the small amount of water I can scoop into my little can. God is so much bigger , so beyond our time-encased, air/food/sleep-dependent lives." If you are interested Francis Chan, he has a website www.crazylovebook.com you can see some of his thoughts there. So thanks for thinking about my crazy thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. you are a strong woman Becky.

    And ya, God and I seem to have an understanding too... He puts up with my crap and I keep holding on to Him.

    ReplyDelete